At TORC we are geared to build PROBLEM SOLVERS
Each year, after FIRST discloses the new game, TORC follows a systematic approach to develop a game strategy and robot design.
As a team we:
- Review game rules, scoring, & identify the required robot functions.
- Students are then tasked to go home & create a strategy for the game or to design a portion of the robot.
The next day students:
- Present their ideas to the Team.
- Discuss ideas to identify strengths & weaknesses.
- Create a set of game strategies & narrow the field of sub-assemblies to begin prototyping.
- After prototyping & testing is completed, the data is reviewed & the sub-assemblies are chosen.
- Concepts are then developed further & tested for effectiveness.
Chosen systems are then drawn in CAD, which the fabrication team will use to make the parts.
As each sub-assembly is built:
- They are tested to detect problems
- Problems are addressed and resolved through communication between the CAD, Fabrication, Mechanical & Electrical teams.
Modifications are made keeping the team strategy in mind
TORC students learn that communication, evaluation of data, & flexibility are key components of problem solving. In order to be competitive, we must be able to solve problems.
TORC builds Flexible and Creative Problem Solvers