“GO PRO” is TORC’s innovative way to spread the message of FIRST to those in professional sports, entertainment, and government.
Our goal is to further promote the message of FIRST by gaining endorsements from those in professional sports, entertainment and government to encourage students to consider professional careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
FIRST Founder Dean Kamen visits TORC’s Chairman’s display at the 2012 FRC Michigan State Championship. He autographed the “GO PRO” display board and encouraged the students to continue this innovative project.
FIRST Chairman Walt Havenstein visited the TORC display at the 2012FRC Michigan State Championship and recognized TORC for their unique efforts with “GO PRO” as he addressed the crowd.
TORC’s 2012 “GO PRO” Highlights
- Met with and obtained endorsements from:
- Pratt Miller Racing
- Rob Rubick – Former Detroit Lions line- backer and current analyst.
- Ralph Gilles of SRT Racing,
- Jim Marleau – Michigan Senator
- Brad Jacobsen – State Representative
- Appealed to Michigan Governmental leaders with a petition to support each MI FIRST team with a $5,000 grant. Gaining signatures from students,mentors, & sponsors, TORC seeks to provide these leaders with a host of support for the State of Michigan to consider facilitating teams in their efforts to encourage students to consider careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, which are crucial to Michigan’s economy
- Presented FIRST and demonstrated the robot to the Detroit Piston’s Flight Crew at the Celebrate Oxford Festival.
- Engaged in a shoot-out competition with the Detroit Piston’s Flight Crew using the Rebound Rumble robot.. Everyone was quite amazed when the robot won the challenge.
- Garnered the Detroit Piston’s Flight Crew endorsement for “GO PRO“
TORC’s 2013 “GO PRO“ Highlights
- Making “GO PRO” t-shirts available to spark conversation & allow the wearer to share the message that 100% of FIRST students can make a professional career out of science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
- Created a “GO PRO” mascot and logo.
- Recording endorsements from Detroit Lions, professional soccer and hockey players.
- Included the “GO PRO” campaign as part of a TORC sponsored scavenger hunt at the 2013 Waterford Mott district FRC.
- In march we recorded an endorsement from Hugh McLeish, a former Manchester United professional soccer player and current Chair of the American Soccer Federation Coaching Commission.
- Encouraged celebrities to tweet “GO PRO” after reading FIRST educational material.
- Asking local sports players to wear “GO PRO” t-shirts and post a Facebook picture to support going pro in science, technology, engineering and mathematics.